What are Resin Bound Driveways?
Resin driveways are an incredibly popular solution for homeowners and businesses across the UK. Whether you are looking for a basic overlay on an existing driveway surface, or a full driveway installation solution, resin bound driveways are practical and affordable choices to consider.
One of the most popular home improvement projects is to replace or install a new driveway. However, few people have enough knowledge about the available options. Driveways have to be resilient and should not wear away easily.
Resin driveways are excellent options, for a number of reasons. Here at DPM Design & Build, we have the knowledge, skills and experience to ensure you are left with a resin bound system that you can be proud of. We have outlined 8 reasons why you should consider this type of driveway, over other surfaces like tarmac, gravel and concrete.
Benefits of Resin Driveways
- Permeable – resin is cold mixed, which ensures every stone particle is covered, that in turn, forms a structurally stable mix. Small voids are created to allow water to drain through, enabling rainwater to permeate through the surface. This reduces surface and standing water runoff, as well as flash flooding.
- Flexibility – not only are resin stone driveway designs more aesthetically pleasing than standard concrete and tarmac, but they are also available in a variety of colours and designs. This means they are suitable for almost any kind of project.
- Easy to install – concrete, gravel and tarmac driveways can take a long time to install, and are more convoluted. Resin bound driveways are much easier to install, and take far less time. With a company as proficient as DPM Design & Build, our qualified and experienced team help to make the installation process stress-free for our customers.
- Long-lasting – one of the other perks of resin drives, is that they are incredibly durable. They can accommodate foot traffic as well as the weight of standard vehicles, without any patches or cracks appearing. However, we would not recommend parking heavy vehicles on resin surfacing.
- Weather-resistant – resin bonded driveways don’t get soft during the summer, nor do they freeze in winter or fade in direct sunlight. Whereas asphalt drives tend to soften in hotter temperatures, which often results in marks on the surface, and their colour deteriorates thanks to UV exposure.
- Eco-friendly – following on from resin creating a permeable driveway, as surface or rainwater finds its way through, it acts as a natural filter by removing or reducing impurities or pollutants caused by metals and oils. On impermeable driveways, rainwater runoff picks up pollutants as it flows into drains, which isn’t particularly environmentally-friendly. A resin driveway’s voids allow the soil beneath it to breathe, reducing the surface temperature.
- Easy to maintain – a resin bound driveway helps to reduce mould and weeds from growing underneath the surface. Resin driveway maintenance, in summary, boils down to a simple jet wash and sweep with a brush. Alternatively, DPM Design & Build do offer affordable and flexible driveway maintenance services.
- Choice – there are different types of resin available to choose from. There is resin which offers additional UV protection, as well as lighter and darker stones to blend with numerous different colours. Consistency is crucial, so it pays dividends to take time and figure out the best resin to use for your driveway.
How much do Resin Driveways Cost?
Installing resin driveways is, by no means, a run-of-the-mill task. We certainly wouldn’t recommend that you attempt to install one yourself. While they are not necessarily the cheapest option on the market, considering how beneficial they are in the long-term, the resin driveway cost is more of an investment. You’ll definitely be getting your money’s worth.
To get an accurate price, just give DPM Design & Build a call and we can give you an estimate.